Monday, July 12, 2010

Decadent Desserts: 3, 2, 1


Mark and I have both apparently been on a dessert kick here for a little while. Mark recently made a chocolate box with chocolate mousse, topped with strawberries and whipped cream for Rachel's Ladies' Bible study. I made a chocolate espresso and vanilla trifle, and some home-made ice cream pops. Mark and Rach will have to post later about the chocolate box because I, unfortunately, did not witness the making. I will describe as best as possible and post pictures soon. The actual chocolate box was its' own container for the dessert. It was approximately 8x8 and about 2 inches tall. The chocolate was firm but then and decadent. Inside the box was a hidden surprise of velvety chocolately mousse. I say hidden inside because when you see the pictures all you see is the box and strawberries. The mousse was thick enough to hold halved-strawberries covering the mousse. All around the outside rim of the dessert was a beautiful, thick whipped cream. This was topped of course with a beautiful mint leaf in the middle.

The dessert I made was much more simple and one of my favorites to do. A trifle consists of well- three (or more) parts. 1st - some type of cake base. Whether you choose a typical box cake, brownie or angel food cake (for something lighter). Then you want some type of pudding and/or fruit. For a healthier version of the trifle you can do yogurt and fruit - this also makes for a beautiful dessert as well. Anyway - at this point I feel like I'm rambling. So here what I did for the most recent trifle: Chocolate/Vanilla cake - dripped espresso over the cake - then pudding, then whipped cream, heath bar - then the layers all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment